The author blog of C. J. Ivory

Tinkerer with words. Dresser-Upper. Adorer of Steampunk and VictoriaNoir fiction. Occasional Lawgineer.

January 20, 2011

So You Want To Write a Novel: Never Give Up!

Gentle Reader,

Today’s motto is Never Give Up, or as Margaret Atwood’s character Offred would have said, Nolite te bastardes carborundorum! I think it’s appropriate to plunder the work of that Canadian high-priestess of literature, since today’s blog post is inspired by another Canadian author: Peggy Blair.

Peggy is the author of the upcoming Beggar’s Opera, which is due to be released in North America and the UK in spring 2012. Her story was short-listed for the prestigious Debut Dagger Award, she’s received a personal recommendation from crime writer Ian Rankin (pause for angel chorus), and her book has been snapped up by European markets at the important Frankfurt Book Fair.

Like all authors, Peggy knows the hard slog of writing, editing and querying her book. She also knows the odds facing authors who want to be published. And she's beaten them, proving that hard work, determination, and talent are a winning combination. If you would like to read about Peggy and The Beggar's Opera, click here to check out her blog


Yours in inspiration,

Charlotte



11 comments:

Carolyn Arnold said...

I think it's great that you included 2 elements in your post - 1 finishing the novel and 2 endurance to get it published. In some ways (maybe most), writing the novel is easier than the perseverance required to see the project through.

And coming from a Canadian, you think we have an accent? :)

And congrats and much success to Peggy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Carolyn!

I actually think that writing the book was the easy part (although the polishing part was a grind).

Thanks, Charlotte Jane -- I've referenced you in tomorrow's blog regarding your own success. Much appreciated!

Charlotte Jane Ivory said...

I agree that writing the novel (at least the first draft) can be the easiest part of the process. After all, it's the buzz of being creative that keeps us writers tapping away at the keyboard day after day, I suppose.

What I've found hard is the parts of the process that are entirely out of my hands. Once you send your baby out into the world, everything depends on other people liking it. Scary stuff!

Regarding accents: one of my most darling friends is Canadian, so I will always be a fan! Meanwhile, coming from a land "downunder", I may just speak with the strangest accent on earth :)

Michelle Wallace said...

Hey CJ

Phew ! What an incredible journey ! It really inspired and encouraged me .

Charlotte Jane Ivory said...

I'm glad you're feeling as inspired as I am, Muso! It's so important for us writers to be reminded of successes, isn't it?

Anne Devereux said...

... and another blog has been added to my Favourites list. (that's right, I spelled it with a "u" - I'm Canadian!)

Peggy's story is an inspiration. And your blog looks so interesting, Charlotte! I'll be pawing through it for sure. :)

Charlotte Jane Ivory said...

Welcome to my blog, Anne! So pleased you've found it interesting. I post most weekdays - that's right, I'm a talker :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's like running down the road naked (not your blog, Charlotte) but allowing others to read your manuscript. You're so exposed ...

Brian French said...

Peg - a vivid and bang on comment - the naked one that is. On one hand you want feedback from readers and on the other are afraid of that the feedback might be. That is if your two hands aren't covering genitalia.
I suspect that ultimately, the most important opinion is the author's, because without this it's pretty hard to sell it to others.

Charlotte Jane Ivory said...

I can certainly relate to the "nakedness", Peggy and Brian (by the way, welcome to my blog, Brian!). I read a quote once - and for the life of me can't recall who said it - that said sending your manuscript out into the world of publishing was like pushng your child out onto a busy road...

Anonymous said...

Oh my. But I think I like your analogy better
:-).